Federal Financial Aid

The following types of Federal funding can be used to pay for Study Abroad costs, as long as the program is for credit:

  • Grants and Scholarships
  • Pell Grants
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)
  • Federal Family Educational Loans
  • Perkins Loans
  • Stafford Loans
  • PLUS Loans for Parents
  • Consolidation Loans
  • Direct Loans

Financial aid for a Study Abroad program must be obtained at the home institution (Wayne State University) and requires a consortium agreement between WSU and the host institution before any financial assistance is awarded.

Make sure that you fill out a FAFSA if you are interested in receiving Federal funding. If you have already received Financial Aid through the WSU Office of Financial Aid, and then decide to participate in a program, in some cases, the amount of aid you can receive will be increased. Contact Hannah Lanfear in the Financial Aid Office, e-mail at hlanfear@wayne.edu to discuss your options for using financial aid for study abroad.

Remember that your first step should be to determine the total cost of your program. Costs are estimated on each program page and you may also consult with a Study Abroad advisor to help estimate any additional costs.

Use these helpful tools to begin your study abroad funding: 

You can find other relevant financial aid forms by clicking here