Getting Sick

There are few things more annoying than having your program interrupted by an accident or illness.  In addition to the language barrier (in most cases), the medical system, hospitals, doctor's offices and pharmacies will be unfamiliar and can be overwhelming. 

As a WSU Study Abroad participant, you will be enrolled in an international health insurance program which will give you access to emergency as well routine medical care. You may access information about the insurance at their website: after you have been enrolled in the insurance and issued your ID.  Key information available here includes:

  • Specific health and safety information about your particular location
  • Translation guides for medical therms and common prescription drug guides
  • Doctor profiles and contact information
  • Insurance details

If you are traveling on your own, you may purchase international health insurance at a discounted rate through our office.

For specific policy information, please see our brochure at:

If you do get sick, make sure that you keep copies of all of your records and receipts.

Especially if you are traveling outside North America or Europe, you may want to make sure that your immunizations are up to date.  We recommend that you contact the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (  Depending on the immunizations you need, you may be able to get them from your primary care physician, the county health department and/or a travel clinic. 

The Campus Health Center (CHC) is located on WSU main campus and is a full-service primary care clinic. CHC offers you comprehensive travel health services and nurse practitioners review recommended immunizations and medications to stay healthy while studying abroad. CHC is certified to provide yellow-fever vaccine. For more information or to schedule an appointment, please visit: or call 313.577.5041.

Additional helpful information for staying well and recovering from illness while abroad is found at the CDC website: