Italy: English Language Teaching Assistantship in the Lombardy Region, Italy
This program is designed to provide an opportunity for students and graduate students who are native speakers of English to be immersed in the language and culture of Italy to gain a better understanding of Italian culture and traditions. Participants will be matched with high schools for internships in teaching English.
Participants can choose a duration of the program anywhere from a minimum of three months to a maximum of eight months as long as it is between October 1 and May 31. Actual start and completion dates are dependent on the school assigned to the participant and the program length requested.
The program is open to undergraduate Italian majors who have not graduated more than 18 months prior to the start of the program.
- Prior teaching experience to non-native speakers (preferably experience teaching English to ESL students).
- Status as B.A. student (Italian major or minor preferred), or status as recently graduated student ( within the past 18 months at the moment of application, therefore graduated in or after November 2014) or status as M.A or Ph.D. student specializing in Italian language and culture. In absence of such (preferred) requisites, completion of at least 3 semesters of University level Italian and a minimum of B grade in the course is required. If not the case, proof of the equivalent proficiency and knowledge of Italian will be considered at the discretion of the selecting institution and the Program coordinators.
- Experience studying or working abroad, or participation in cross-cultural activities in North America.
- In the case of a candidate who has a GPA that does not meet the 3.25 requirement, or who does not fulfill the above listed preferred criteria, the university may still proceed forward with candidate selection provided the quality of the applicant is demonstrated as notwithstanding, ideal for the internship. In any case, the SITE Program Coordinators reserve the right to reject candidates who do not meet program criteria.
Application deadline is March 4, 2018. If you are interested in participating in the program, please contact Professor Elena Past at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Participants will be provided €700 per month to help cover cost of living/meals/other expenditures.
Participants will be responsible for the following:
- Purchasing INA Assitalia Health Insurance (€49 for 6 months or €98 for 12 months)
- Roundtrip airfare
Passport and Visa: In order to travel to Italy, you will need a passport which is valid for 6 months after your return date. If you are intending to stay beyond 90 days, you will need to have a visa. Please click here for more general information on passports and visas. For more information about receiving an Italian visa, please contact the Consulate of Italy in Detroit.
Participants will be placed in a high school in the Lombardy Region, Italy.
This program is a non-credit program.
Deadline: March 4, 2018
To apply, you must fill out an application and attach a cover letter, resume, unofficial transcript, and receipt of $50 application fee payable via this link. Fill out an application by clicking here.
What happens next?
After you submit your application, transcript, cover letter, resume and $50 application fee, we will forward it to the program director who makes the final admissions decision. Each program has a slightly different set of criteria. If anything else is required, someone will contact you. After we receive the decision, we will send you a letter informing you of the outcome.
All correspondence and acceptance will be made by our office via email. Be sure to list an email address that you regularly check on your application. It is your responsibiltiy to make sure you are receiving pertinent documents. If you are worried that your email account is rejecting our email, please contact our office immediately.
For more information, please contact:
Dr. Elena Past