Japan Center for Michigan Universities (JCMU)
Winter 2018: January 3 - April 21, 2018
Application Deadline: September 1, 2017
Full Academic Year: September 3 - April 21, 2018
Application Deadline: March 1, 2017
Sponsored by the Office of International Programs and the Japan Center for Michigan Universities (JCMU), a consortium of 13 Michigan Universities, students have the opportunity to study for a semester or academic year of study in Japan. JCMU is dedicated to building relationships between Americans, Japanese, and other nationalities through active learning and participation in language, culture, family life, and society. Programs include: Academic Program on Japanese Language and Culture, Environmental Sciences in Japan, Special Seminars, Summer Intensive Japanese, English Language and Culture, and more. No previous language experience is necessary. Scholarships may be available.
Program Cost for WSU students:
Fall Term: $10,280 - $1,900 Scholarship = $8,380 (cost includes tuition and housing)
Spring Term: $10,280 - $1,900 Scholarship = $8,380 (cost includes tuition and housing)
For complete cost and payment information, please visit the JCMU website and select the appropriate "Budget Sheet".
Passport and Visa:
In order to travel to Japan, you will need a passport which is valid for 6 months after your return date. Visa processing for US Citizens and Canadians who are Wayne State Students is included in the cost of your program. Please click here for more general information on passports and visas.
Japan Center for Michigan Universities
Hikone, Shiga 522-0002
Academic Focus: Japanese Studies
Japanese Language Courses:
All students participating in the semester and summer programs take Japanese language. The JCMU Japanese language program offers four levels of instruction: elementary, lower intermediate, intermediate, and advanced. Each level at the Center is designed to advance the language students' proficiency through the combination of in-class instruction and outside activities. The language program as a whole aims to produce students who can communicate effectively in a variety of socio-cultural contexts both in spoken and written Japanese.
Students will be placed into the level best-suited to their abilities after taking a Placement Test at the beginning of the program. The placement test consists of a written test and a short interview.
Japanese Language Course Offerings
- Elementary Japanese (Level 1)
- Lower Intermediate Japanese (Level 2)
- Intermediate Japanese (Level 3)
- Advanced Japanese (Level 4)
Second Friday in February
- May Short Courses
- Summer Internship Program
- Comparative Health Care
- Hospitality Business and Tourism
First Friday in March
- Fall Semester
- Academic Year
- Summer Intensive Language
- Environmental Sciences in Japan
Third Friday in September
- Spring Semester
You must be in good academic standing with a GPA of at least 2.5 at the time of application and have completed at least two semesters of school at the college level by the program start date. Meeting this minimum GPA does not, however, guarantee acceptance: additional eligibility criteria do apply.
Acceptance to JCMU is based on the program coordinator's review of your transcript, Personal Essay, Dean of Students Reference Form, and Faculty Recommendations. Upon acceptance, you will receive an Acceptance Packet that includes an Acceptance Letter, the Decision Form, the Agreement for Participation, and a number of informational forms required for visa and housing purposes. Students from non-JCMU Consortium Member institutions will also receive an MSU Lifelong Education Application.
If you plan to participate, complete and return all forms as soon as possible with two weeks from the date on your Acceptance Letter being the deadline. If you choose to not participate or to defer participation, please indicate this choice on the Decision Form and return it within the aforementioned time-frame. Your participation may be denied if these forms are not returned by the deadline or if your conduct prior to departure raises concerns regarding your preparedness to participate in this international experience.
Please send all completed materials to:
Japan Center for Michigan Universities
110 International Center
East Lansing, MI 48824-1035
Phone: (517) 355-4654
Fax: (517) 353-8727
If you are interested in applying to one of our programs, please follow this list of steps.
- Complete JCMU application online. Click here for online application. Submit the application electronically and print out a hard copy of the application. Sign the hardcopy of the application. Bring the signed hardcopy of the completed application, sealed official transcripts along with a $100 application fee (check or money order) made payable to Michigan State University to WSU Office of Study Abroad and Global Programs, 906 W. Warren, 131 Manoogian Hall, Detroit, MI 48201.
- Non-Consortium students must also complete a MSU Lifelong Education Application.
- Apply for passport if you do not have one.
- If you are a student at a Michigan public university, contact the appropriate advisor.
- If you are not enrolled at a Michigan public university or are an MSU student, contact the JCMU office at Michigan State University.
- Apply for scholarships and/or financial aid. Please use this page as a resource.
- Make sure all applications and all needed attachments reach the JCMU office by the respective deadlines.
- Check the Visa Application Process page to see the requirements you will be needing for travel.
What happens next?
After you submit your application, transcript, and $100 application fee, we will forward it to the JCMU program office who makes the final admissions decision. Each program has a slightly different set of criteria. If anything else is required, someone will contact you. After we receive the decision, we will send you a letter informing you of the outcome. If you are admitted, you will have 2 weeks to accept your place and pay your non-refundable deposit.
For more information, please contact:
Kelli Dixon, PhD
The Office of Study Abroad and Global Programs
(313) 577-3207 or via e-mail at email@example.com.