Lebanon: Arabic Language and Culture at the Lebanese American University
*Summer Term Applications now closed, currently accepting applications only for Fall term.
Summer 2018 Term: June 11 - July 20, 2018 (CLOSED)
Application Deadline: May 1, 2018
Fall 2018: August 27 - November 30, 2018 (CURRENTLY ACCEPTING)
Application Deadline: July 13, 2018
Students interested in studying at the Lebanese American University have the opportunity to not only improve their language skills but also to gain a true understanding of the cultural and social dynamics in the region. The campus, situated in the heart of the Lebanese capital of Beirut, provides students a unique perspective on Lebanese culture and daily life.
The Lebanese American University offers courses at many different levels. All students are provided with twenty hours per week of intensive classroom instruction. Students will have the advantage of being immersed in an authentic cultural context which will undoubtedly enrich their formal language skills.
While on campus, students will also partake in cultural activities including weekly lectures on topics related to Arab and Lebanese politics, history, society, and culture. Students will also have the opportunity to visit a series of historical, cultural and tourist sites throughout Lebanon.
|Fall/Winter 2018||Summer 2018|
|Tuition ($360 per credit)||$5,032.00||$2,880.00|
|*Single Occupancy is $1,433 extra.|
Passport and Visa: Additional Costs:
Airfare to and from Beirut, manditory health insurance, local transportation, meals, personal expenses, books and passport fees.
In order to travel to the Lebanon, you will need a passport which is valid for 6 months after your return date. As a student, you will also need a visa to Lebanon.You are responsible for obtaining a student visa.
The non-refundable $150 program fee, is payable directly to the Office of Study Abroad and Global Programs upon acceptance to the program. Information regarding payment of this fee will be provided to students after they have applied and been accepted into the program. The remaining fees will be billed to the student account of each participant.
The Office of Study Abroad and Global Programs reserves the right to cancel this program, revise its offerings, or to make any adjustments to the preliminary cost estimates due to conditions beyond its control.
Snoubra, Beirut, Lebanon
+961 1 786 456
Academic Focus: Arabic Language
Students from any Wayne State college or school are eligible to apply provided their plans are approved by the department where they expect to earn their degrees.
Courses: The LAU program offers two levels of intensive courses in Arabic language and culture: Intermediate and Advanced during the Fall and Winter/Spring terms. During the Summer, Elementary Arabic is also taught. Each level provides a total of nine hours per week of intensive classroom instruction AND three hours of Lebanese Dialect. All students are required to take an Arabic language course at their appropriate level for the credit listed below which includes the appropriate Lebanese dialect course for the level.
- Intermediate Arabic I at LAU is equivalent to ARB 2010 (4 cr.)
- Intermediate Arabic II at LAU is equivalent if ARB 2020 (4 cr.)
- Advanced Arabic I at LAU is equivalent to ARB 3110 (3 cr.)
- Advanced Arabic II at LAU is equivalent to ARB 3120 (3 cr.)
- Lebanese Dialect at LAU is equivalent to ARB 3210 (3 cr.)
- Middle East Challenges in the 21st Century (Fall 2011) at LAU is equivalent to ARB 3990 (3 cr.) (FALL ONLY)
- Arabic Language Writing Skills at LAU is equivalent to ARB 3220 (3 cr.)
- Principles of Translation (Winter/Spring)at LAU is equivalent to ARB 5010 (3 cr.) (WINTER/SPRING ONLY)
- Elementary Arabic at LAU is equivalent to ARB 1010 (4 cr.) (SUMMER ONLY)
Prerequisites and Eligibility:
Undergraduate and graduate Wayne State University students are eligible to participate as well students from other universities and colleges interested in receiving college level credits. Selection of applicants is done on a rolling basis; students are evaluated and considered for admission throughout the academic year. You will be notified of your acceptance status by the Study Abroad Programs Office. If you wish to participate, you will be required to sign and return the Decision Form and Waiver and Release Statement to accept the terms of the program and secure your place. Participants can take up to 4 classes.
Complete the program application here.
What happens next?
After you submit your WSU application, transcript, and $50 application fee, we will review your application for eligibility. If eligible, we will submit your nomination for the exchange to our partner/host university. After we receive confirmation of placement from the host university (during the host nomination period only), we will send you an acceptance notification with the placement decision and additional instructions. If you are accepted, you will have 2 weeks after receipt of your acceptance notification email to confirm your placement and pay your non-refundable deposit of $150.
General Application Process
Please see below for the general outgoing exchange application and admission process. Please note that each partner university has specific document and application procedures - please read your WSU Study Abroad acceptance notification email in detail for your specific program instructions.
- Submit WSU Online Application with Supporting Documents
- Nomination Submitted to Host University (Nomination Timeline Set by Host U.)
- Partner University Confirms Participation Status
- WSU Acceptance Notification & Instructions Emailed to Participant
- Host University Application Documents Collected & Submit by Partner Deadline
- Accommodation Application for Host University Prepared
- Letter of Invitation Sent by Host University
- Host University Coordinator will Communicate with Participants
- Visa Application (if needed), Arrival Details and Travel Plans
- Course Registration Processes at WSU and Host University
- Travel to your Host University & Have a Good Program!
For more information, please contact:
Lisa Kyle at email@example.com or The Office of Study Abroad and Global Programs at (313) 577-3207
All correspondence and acceptance will be made by our office via email. Be sure to list an email address that you regularly check on your application. It is your responsibiltiy to make sure you are receiving pertinent documents. If you are worried that your email account is rejecting our email, please contact our office immediately.